Big Crumb Coffee Cake
(from More Bread and Cheese, Please!)
1 c frozen blueberries, thawed 2 tblspns sugar
1 tblspn flour 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Topping: 1/3 c dark brown sugar 1/3 c sugar 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground ginger 1/8 tsp salt 1/2 c melted butter 1 3/4 cups cake flour (I used all-purpose, with no problems)
1/3 c sour cream 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk 2 tsp vanilla extract 1 c cake flour (I used bread flour and Deb used all-purpose, both with no problems) 1/2 c sugar 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 6 tblspns softened butter, cut into small chunks
1. Toss all ingredients for filling together in a bowl and set aside.
2. For crumbs, whisk together all ingredients but flour until smooth; then stir in flour with a spatula.
3. For cake, stir together the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a bowl. In a separate, large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt using a mixer (I used a hand mixer as I don’t have a fancy mixer with a paddle attachment). 4. Add butter and 1/2 of sour cream mixture and mix on low until all flour is moistened. Add remaining sour cream mixture and beat for about 45 s.
5. Scrape all but 1/2 c of batter into a greased 8 x 8 pan. Spread blueberry mixture over batter. Dollop remaining batter over berries.
6. Crumble topping mixture into big crumbs using your fingers, and sprinkle over cake.
7. Bake cake at 325 deg until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 min. The cake will be firmer and serve better once it cools, but I’m impatient and dug into it after about 10 minutes to delicious results!